Wednesday, February 20, 2008

And then there was a light at the end of the tunnel, and it gave me a headache

Okay. This is starting to piss me off. Once again I was on the verge of writing an edgy, biting post with lots of pertinent links about how the Iraqi blogosphere has gone straight to hell with with ass-backwards whining about "Bush, Bush, Bush", "They destroyed my country", "Saddam's poor disbanded military", "those uppity Kurds strutting around like they're Diamond Jim", etc. etc. etc.

And once again, some Iraqi blogger has taken all the wind out of my sails with a genuine post about the present and future of Iraq. Referring to it in the comment of the previous post, M.H.Z. calls this last post, "the most optimistic post [he] ever wrote" (adding that, "we don't just need optimism, we need logic as well, they all work together"). That's great, MHZ. Now what am I supposed to do with all these damned hyperlinks I've collected?!?!

Go read it, but I'll tell you first why I like it and why I like MHZ's posts generally. No mention of the US. MHZ does not feel obliged (as some do) to only mention Iraq's problems if they can be contrived as coming via FedEx from the US or Iran. The last time he has discussed US policy in Iraq was in mid-June, and even then he was quite adamant about Iraqis owning Iraq's problems. If you can think of the future of Iraq as a play, in MHZ's last post, the Iraqis are the leading men and women with all the heroism and venality of humanity marbled in their flesh. The following things are (as they should be) just the background of Iraq now --or at best, character actors:

-

Labels: ,




<< Home
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?