Tuesday, August 15, 2006

The In T View: The Readers Of Iraq The Model Sound Off: Dagney


The edge of darkness by Tennessee-Gator - Flickr


Generally, I In T View bloggers, journalists, writers, human rights advocates, and soldiers, but this time I thought I would expand the horizons a bit and In T View the readers of of one of the most popular and beloved Mideast and Iraqi blogs, Iraq The Model, and let them sound off, share their views, about ITM and Iraq.

Iraq The Model comes complete with a strong and loyal readership and a feisty crew of articulate commenters offering their thoughts on Omar's and Mohammed's evaluation of events in their country, the Iraqi conflict, politics, terrorism, Islam, and the actions of the Coalition Forces.


In this In T View we feature Dagney, a longtime commenter at Iraqi blogs and a very enthusiatic supporter of ITM and Mideast Democracy, who can be found at Dagney's Rants, where she posts her views on why Liberalism is a threat to the United States. Take it away, Dagney...


MG: How did you become aware of Iraq The Model and decide to comment there?

Dagney: I found ITM just after the war extended to Iraq. I found them, and Hammorabi & The Messopotamian around the same time.

MG: Are you as optimistic about Iraq now, as when you first started reading and commenting at ITM?

Dagney: From a historical perspective, I am optimistic. I know how long it took our own country to reach a consensus, and I keep hoping the Iraqis will find their own version of George Washington, i.e., a strong leader.

MG: Did you find that ITM was better when Ali was involved with the blog?

Dagney: I still read "Free Iraqi", and I find that it gives depth to the whole story of Iraq's democratic birth.

MG: There have been criticisms directed towards ITM and the brothers that they are too Pro-American or American Agents, Working for the CIA, not really Iraqis or located in Iraq, etc. How do you respond to this?

Dagney: My response is that there will always be naysayers, but as long as there are positive voices coming out of Iraq, they have an opportunity of becoming democratic leaders to lead the ME out of the negative morass they are involved in currently.

MG: Has it been a learning experience reading ITM? You likely know more about Iraqi politics now, than you did before reading the Brothers' Blog, but have they also given you insights into other facets of Iraqi Society such as cultureand history?

Dagney: I think that Sam, at Hammorabi, has given me more information about the history and cultural make-up of Iraq, but the brothers have given me hope about the future that is ahead for Iraq.

MG: Should the US have involved itself in Iraq? Has it been a worthwhile endeavor?

Dagney: Absolutely! I believe President Bush will go on record in the history of Iraq as a savior, and a hero.

MG: Does the World Media (Television, Radio, and Newspapers) present an accurate view of what's happening in Iraq?

Dagney: Are you kidding? NO WAY!

MG: Which ITM Brother -- Omar or Mohammed -- would you like to give a hug to or have a beer with and why?

Dagney: Both. Omar is the pragmatist. Mohammed is the poet, the prose-master. Both have given me hope for Iraq, and both are precious to me as a little (younger) brother would be, and I can hardly wait until I can go to Iraq and share a cup of tea with them and their family.

MG: On February 20, 1258 A.D., the Mongols overran Baghdad, plundered and destroyed the city, and conducted a massacre of the residents that claimed 800,000 lives. Things don't look as bleak for the Iraqis now, still the topic of an Iraqi Civil War is being bandied about in the Media every day, and I have to ask: Is Iraq currently involved in a Civil War?

Dagney: I do not believe they are in a Civil War. I do believe that the monkey boy, Sadr, should have been arrested/killed/taken out of the equation when the coalition was still in charge, though I understand why he was not. A subtle "hit" on him at any point from now on might lessen the tensions and violence in today's Iraq. I believe he is talking out of both sides of his face. As our own Native American's say, "He speaks with a forked tongue!"

MG: Do you have a Favorite Poster at ITM, who you like or admire, and can you tell us why?

Dagney: I have several. Louise is not as outspoken as she used to be, and I'm sad about that. Ash and Steph are two who usually have sage comments, and Bob's links are very interesting. Mr. Ghost is one whose tongue is much like mine...sharp. [oops, that's you! LMAO]

MG: One of my escapist fantasies is to walk the length and breadth of Iraq from Southern Kurdisitan down to Mosul, though due to my blue eyes and practically albino skin, they'd likely be using me for target practice before I made it out of Mosul, certainly I'd be in trouble in Fallujah, LOL... When conditions become safer for travel in Iraq, would you like to visit the country?

Dagney: I can hardly wait! Sam at Hammorabi has promised a camel BBQ, though he's recently become less enthused, but the brothers feel like family to me.

MG: The Recent Loss of Omar's, Mo's, and Ali's Brother-in-Law elicited many outporings of sympathy from ITM's readers and commenters, similar to if the readers/commenters had lost a member of their own extended family. When you post at ITM, is there a sense of being part of an extended family?

Dagney: Absolutely

MG: Has a bond been established, both between the posters themselves and Omar and Mo?

Dagney: I believe so. It feels like an extended family.

MG: Having come to know Omar and Mo through their writings these last few years, what is the one thing, you would like to say to them?

Dagney: I wish I could give you both a big hug. You have become like my sons. You keep us informed about what is really going on in Iraq, and I wish I could insure your safety. I'm a "pistol packin' mama", meaning I am a licensed concealed weapon holder and I carry a firearm with me wherever I go. I wish I could somehow protect you in the very precarious environment you live in, in Baghdad. I so admire your strength of will and your bravery in the face of a very difficult time for your newly developing country.

MG says: Thanks to Dagney!




<< Home
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?