Friday, December 16, 2005

Vahal's Excellent Adventure

Yesterday we featured the latest of Mister Ghost's In T Views, this one with Iraqi Kurd Vahal Abdulrahman. Today Vahal updates us on his most excellent adventure on the day that millions of fellow Iraqis voted along with Vahal and his father.
[I]t was the best of moments to be standing with my father outside of the polling station. Here was I, a young Iraqi who started opposing Saddam by writing articles in his college newspaper and giving talks at local Boston events in the few years leading up to the liberation. And there was my father, an old Peshmerga who had opposed Saddam by his pen and his gun, in Tehran and in Kurdistan, from ad-hoc offices to snowy mountains. My father spent his entire adult life fighting the injustices of the Baghdad regimes. Today, two anti-Saddam generations of my family stood outside the polling station, thousands of miles away from Iraq and proudly showed their purple index fingers.
Pretty great, right? But Vahal's day was not finished yet. A surprise awaited him.
I am honored to say that I was one of only ten Iraqi voters to be invited to the White House to meet with President George W. Bush.

It is almost surreal if I begin to think about it, after I voted, I was given the opportunity, the honor to go and meet the man without whom this election would not have been possible, without whom Iraq would still be under the tyranny of Saddam Hussein.
So after voting with his father, Vahal ends up strolling into the Oval Office!
When I first entered the Oval Office, I thought to myself, this is the setting from which President Bush gave Saddam the ultimatum to leave Iraq or else on a cold day in March of 2003, a day that I don't think I can ever forget.
Please, stop by Vahal's blog and read the rest.

*

Because of all of our election coverage, I didn't have time to talk about the 2-year anniversary of the capture of Saddam Hussein.

At around six-thirty in the evening on Saturday, December 13, 2003, Stumble Bum Saddam Hussein was pulled from his spiderhole and when he cursed the guy who was holding him, an Iraqi-American named Samir, . . . well, Samir PUNCHED SADDAM.

Here's a profile of Samir. Let Samir tell you what happened as he gripped Saddam.
"I was so angry," says Samir, who immigrated to St. Louis eleven years ago after fleeing Iraq. "I began cussing at him, calling him a motherfucker, a son-of-a-bitch -- you name it. I told him I was Shiite from the south and was part of the revolution against him in 1991. I said he murdered my uncles and cousins. He imprisoned my father.

"All these years of anger, I couldn't stop. I tried to say the worst things I could. I told him if he were a real man he would have killed himself. I asked him: 'Why are you living in that dirty little hole, you bastard? You are a rat. Your father is a rat.'"

In Arabic, Saddam told Samir to shut up. And when Saddam called him a traitor, an enraged Samir silenced his prisoner with a flurry of quick jabs to the face.

"I punched Saddam in the mouth."
I've read this six times and I'm still grinning ear-to-ear.

*

Hammorabi (Yosemite) Sam has been fighting for Iraqi democracy from the very beginning. While three years ago no Iraqis were allowed to voice their own opinions, today we are blessed with a diversity of views and ideas coming out of Iraq.
Arabs are not Wahabists or Sulafists but diverse in their ideologies and believes and no one has the right to make all of them follow his own way. Balance is the way needed to avoid any hate-based principles. Other countries in the Arab world including Saudi Arabia should respect their citizens and allow them to practice their rights and school of thoughts as they like.
Indeed. Damn Varmints!

*



<< Home
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?