Thursday, July 14, 2005

What Faiza Jarrar Learned from Her Summer Vacation to America

Faiza Jarrar spent around a month this summer attending a "peacebuilding" workshop at a college in Vermont. She then traveled to Boston, New York, and Washington. What did she learn?
America lives in a semi-dictatorship condition now…
What difference between that, and Iraq, at the time of Saddam Hussein?
Gee, I didn't know that I live in a "semi-dictatorship." Over two hundred years ago, in 1789, the United States of America had its first presidential election in which George Washington defeated John Adams by an electoral college vote of 69 to 34. Since then, every four years Americans have voted for president, even in 1860 and 1864. The United States is the world's longest-lasting democracy, and in 2008 we will have another presidential election. Hey, but Faiza says we live in a "semi-dictatorship" and who are we to argue with her?
In America, I saw a majority of people who are crushed, not comfortable…

I learned that they do not study the history of other nations in their schools, nor their geography, and know nothing about other religions… their information usually comes from the Media, and that media is usually directed, owned by a number of wealthy people, the owners of the big, beneficiary companies…meaning; they deliver the news to the people according to their moods, explaining things according to their private, narrow, visions….
It looks like the Indymedia folks have thoroughly brainwashed our dear Faiza. If she could walk the streets of Boston, New York, and Washington and misconstrue the bustling of Americans as being indicative of a "crushed" people, then anything is possible in Faiza Jarrar's febrile imagination.

*

Ali Fadhil has posted another of his excellent Q&A blog entries.
2nd Lieutenant Jarred Fishman said:

I am now back from US Air Force training where I became an officer. My question is: what is the attitude towards the ING and the IP and the Special Forces? Do the public support them? are they effective at all? Do Iraqis know that the American populace supports them and wants them to be free and have good and peaceful lives? Stay safe!!

Thanks for your kindness and congratulations on your graduation!
The ING and the IP are generally supported by She'at and Kurds and resented by Sunnis, that's generally. I believe they're getting more effective but still some of them are very rude and behave just like Saddam's thugs at times and it gives a really bad image that affects all the ING in the minds of people who already don't trust them and even in the eyes of those who do support them. As I was typing here in an Internet café a patrol of ING was passing the road in front of us a few minutes ago. One of the soldiers fired his AK47 in the air for absolutely no reason, and this happens a lot. I looked at the soldier and he was actually laughing!! It's all because of the unlimited authority they're given to combat terrorists. I think that the major parties are using terrorism as just an excuse sometimes to further strengthen their grip on power. I still have faith that Iraqis won't let that happen again and I have seen many good signs of that.

I think many Iraqis know that Americans support them but not most and there's still a lot that Iraqis don't know. I feel lucky because I have this blog and because I can read English as it has shown me things I could never have known through our media. I never imagined Americans support and care about Iraqis this much before I started blogging. I thought they did but not this much and I feel I know Americans much more now and love them much more as well. More Iraqis need to see what I and other luckier Iraqis have and are seeing.

*

Niki Akhavan (Jarrar) evidently wants me dead. Enjoy this walk in the graveyard and visit my TOMBSTONE.

And could you please be so kind as to leave a few comments.

JEFFREY STALKER R.I.P.

*

Michael Yon, our fearless freelancer in Iraq, reports from his travels with a Big Dog, Command Sergeant Major Mellinger.
The Special Forces soldiers at Balad talked frankly about the pace of progress and challenges they face with training the new Iraqi forces. They recounted that many Iraqi soldiers and police officers are apparently losing much of their salaries to corrupt superiors who skim the payroll, leaving the soldiers and police to steal from civilians. This can be attributed to culture and custom and it's bound to disturb many people in the west. But the Special Forces soldiers take it in stride. I've learned to gauge the relative corruption of places by the cleanliness of their drinking and bathing water. The water is not clean here. The water is scarce yet free, and since it's free, people waste it. In the human world, there are but small islands of relative-justice. There's no place like home, no place like home, no place like home.
*

Marc Lynch, over at Abu Aadvark, takes a look at the coverage in the Middle East of the suicide bombing in Baghdad that killed so many children. Lynch is an American academic who reads Arabic and has written extensively on media in the Middle East.

You should also stop by Fayrouz's blog and read her entry on the same subject and the interesting comments that she has gathered from people stopping by.

*

Vahal Abdulrahman reflects on the situation in Iraq after reading Azar Nafisi's sobering Reading Lolita in Tehran.

*



<< Home
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?