Thursday, June 09, 2005

Hand Me That Fascist Tool

Over at Kurdistan Bloggers Union, Xosh 7al has posted an entry on a heated exchange between himself and an acquaintance (here called Iraqi Guy).
During one of the matches, he mentioned the Iraqi topic. The conversation was as followed; I will be labelled as X7 (Xosh 7al) in the conversation and he will be labelled as IG (Iraqi Guy). X7... that's an awesome name!!!! I feel all stealthy, syphillitic and covert-y.

IG: "There are no good leaders in the world".
X7: "Aye there are, Tony Blair for example".
IG (in a startled manner): "No way!! He and Bush are the biggest Kaffirs!! (Kaffirs = atheists in arabic... but the manner he was using it in was quite offensive)"

At this point I thought to myself... oh crap what did I just start here

He went on about how America is the root of all evil blah blah blah he also mentioned some crap about Zionism blah blah .I phased out there coz I was really pummelling him in Pro Evolution Soccer 4 and I knew that he was a stubborn fella with whom there was no point of arguing.

The conversation continued. (I'll only leave the interesting bits)

IG: "What we need in Iraq is Islam to run it all"
X7: "Fuck that... That's what is causing the world to go backwards"

Now most people that know me know that I say things that I don't mean or that I have a crap time of expressing myself. The above phrase is an example of that. I did not mean to insult Islam, I was insluting what it had become; a fascist tool used by clerics and leaders to fulfill their own agendas. Anyway at this point he paused the game and stood up and said the following. Well more like screamed.

IG: "Don't you fucking dare insult my religion, I'll fucking throw you against the wall, I'll fucking break your middle finger."

I had no idea my response would provoke the above reaction. This guy was a couple of years younger than me and screaming at me like only parents would. So I stood up and tried to say as calmly as possible

X7: "Don't yell at me, respect your elders and don't fucking use swear words if you want to defend your religion... it kind of defeats the point you prick"

Heh heh. The blogosphere is simply GREAT. How could I have read such down-and-dirty and very REAL exchange before the blogosphere? What? You think this would have survived a journalist's Ratheresque IRONING?

*

Take a look at what RAED JARRAR'S INSURGENTS/RESISTANCE/TERRORISTS HAVE DONE SO FAR IN JUNE.

Don't EVER try to tell me that Raed Jarrar cares about the Iraqi people!

*

Listen, if you really want to learn something, stop by Sandmonkey's Place EVERY DAY. And don't even THINK about coming back here if you don't go over to Sam's first.

Today Professor Sandmonkey takes apart the Egyptian economy.

*

GM over at Big Pharaoh takes a look at the dangers involved with changing your religion in Egypt.
If you’re an Egyptian Christian who decided to become a Muslim for whatever reason, all what you have to do is inform the civil authorities and have your ID changed (our religions are mentioned in our ID). All good, all sound. A problem will arise if you decided to return to your former faith. The Egyptian constitution states that religious freedom is guaranteed and that Egypt is a signatory of the universal declaration of human rights that calls for the freedom to covert to any religion and the freedom to declare it publicly. However, Article 2 of the same constitution mentions that Islamic Law (unreformed Islamic law to be specific) is the main source of legislation in the country*. This entails that anyone who converts out of Islam should be subject to apostasy law that calls for his/her death.

Yup, it always pays to read the FINE PRINT!

*

Nadz addresses the subject of seating arrangements for men and women in mosques.
Having visited my local mosque, I can say that gender segregation is a problem. The men's section is spacious and comfortable, the women's section is small, a narrow area behind the men's space, divided by a wooden panel. I had to enter through the back door into the women's entrance - i couldn't infect the front door with my alluring presence, it seems. Theses divides and the position of women bowing behind men is very symbolic of the entire situation in the Middle East and the Muslim world for me.

*

Akba has an essential post on the state of the Iraqi Blogosphere. I urge all of you who have taken part in the daily debates in the Iraqi Blogosphere over the last two years to read Akba's entry and offer your thoughts on his comments page.

*



<< Home
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?