Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Too Angry to Blog

I just finished reading a blog written by a chaplain in Mosul.
I found "Betty" on a stretcher being tended by nurses. I introduced myself and held her hand. She looked up at me and said, "Chaplain, am I going to be alright?" I said that she was despite the fact that I could see she had a long road to recovery ahead of her. Most of her hair had been singed off. Her face was burnt fairly badly, although it didn't look like the kind of burns that will scar. What I do know is that it was painful enough to hurt just by being in the sun. I prayed with Betty and moved on.

Adding all of this to the carnage from the last few days of Iraqi citizens, I am simply too ANGRY to blog. I don't trust myself to write very much.

WHERE THE FUCK ARE THE IRAQI MEN?

WHERE ARE YOU? HIDING?

YOU DON'T GIVE A FUCK THAT TERRORISTS ARE KILLING YOU AND YOUR WIVES AND YOUR CHILDREN?!
WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO STAND UP AND BE MEN?


That's all I'm going to say. I know it's not cool to lose my temper, but I am tired of Iraqis letting the scum live among them without telling anyone where they are.

*

J from Iraq Calling blogs from Mosul and reports in. According to J, there have been 550 mortar and rocket attacks on their base. And NO IRAQI knows the origin of any of those mortars, right?

*

Wretchard at Belmont Club responds to the mortar attack in Mosul.

*

Ghaith Abdul-Ahad parties down with Iraqi Commies! (Hat Tip: Ladybird)

*

Christopher Caldwell, writing for the online Weekly Standard, takes on one aspect of contemporary history in the Netherlands in "The Dutch rethink multiculturalism." (Ladybird, any comments would be appreciated)

*

Jihad Al Khazen, who could never be called pro-American, writes over at Dar Al Hayat:
Osama bin Laden is a terrorist, an ignorant failing murderer, and after 9/11, we have heard around 17 speeches that he delivered, threatening of miseries and curses. I would like to tell him what the Americans say: "put up or shut up;" as since he deceitfully killed 3,000 Americans three years ago, he has been threatening without implementing a single operation in the United States. This is why he and his group, from Saudi Arabia to Iraq and to every country, are killing Muslims, because they are incapable of killing 'Crusaders.'

See, now was that so hard? Don't you feel better?

*

UPDATE: An interview with Steven Vincent, author of In the Red Zone, already linked to below here are Iraqi Bloggers Central. Steven Vincent tells a story from one night in Baghdad.
Suddenly an Al-Jareeza film crew pulled up, led by a cute American woman from San Francisco. She ordered her Iraqi camera guy to start filming the scene, and I warned the GIs that they were going to see themselves on Arab TV oppressing the local Baghdad population. Everyone mumbled and backed up and got a little tense. To distract the reporter — I couldn’t resist doing my part — I asked her, “Hey, is it true that al-Jazeera and al-Qaeda are synonymous?” She hit the roof, ragging on me for a good ten minutes, accusing me of not knowing what I was talking about. Finally, I snapped, “Darling, you’re right — I don’t know what I’m talking about. I don’t watch al-Jazeera. But my Iraqi friends do, and they all call your network al-Qaeda TV!”

After spitting out a nasty retort, she evidently concluded the GIs were not doing anything that might exacerbate anti-American sentiment across the Middle East, so she ordered her film crew to pack up and leave. The soldiers then burst out laughing, applauding my question, and the lieutenant commanding the detachment came up and shook my hand. “Man, I’ve been dying to tell al-Jazeera off. I wish I could have been here when you asked her that question!”

Read the whole interview. It is very good. Big thanks to Jeff Harrell at Shape of Days.

*




<< Home
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?