Monday, December 13, 2004

Spiderhole Day Anniversary: "We Got Him!"

One year ago on December 13, 2003, Operation Red Dawn captured Saddam Hussein hiding in a spiderhole. We honor this day with a link-rich feast for all of the loyal readers of Iraqi Bloggers Central.

Let the games and festivities begin!
“They couldn’t get him out at first and had to dig, from either side of the hole,” said the official. The soldiers finally made a large enough passageway to drag him out. When he came out, he looked bedraggled, said the official: “He looked like a homeless man at the bus station.”

PAPA SADDAM!
“He looked like a homeless man at the bus station.”

ARAB CHAMPION!
“He looked like a homeless man at the bus station.”

BRAVE SALADIN!
“He looked like a homeless man at the bus station.”

MIGHTY TYRANT!
“He looked like a homeless man at the bus station.”

And now check out the PHOTOS.

*

A little general information on Operation Red Dawn from Wikipedia. This page includes a photograph of Samir, the Iraqi who PUNCHED Saddam in the mouth when Saddam cursed him.

And now meet Samir, an Iraqi-American from St. Louis, Missouri.

In Arabic, Samir said he continued to pursuade Saddam to come out. He was about to come face to face with the tyrant who killed his loved ones.

Saddam was the reason he fled Iraq in 1991 and eventually moved to St. Louis.

Samir says, "I was like, 'I got him.'" We all reached him and pulled him out. And we say Saddam Hussein he looks really old. He looks disgusting." There was also anger, "You want to beat the crap out of him. He destroyed millions in Iraq. I'm one. I left my family 13 years ago because of him."

Saddam couldn't fight back, but he did speak out, "He called me a spy. He called me a traitor. I had to punch him in face. They had to hold me back. I got so angry I almost lost my mind. I didn't know what to do. Choke him to death. That's really not good enough."

For Samir, this was sweet justice. One of Iraq's own, now a U.S. citizen, helping arrest one of the world's most wanted fugitives, "I said 'Who are you? What's your name?' He replied, 'I'm Saddam.' 'Saddam what?' I asked. He said, 'Don't yell. I'm Saddam Hussein."


*

Read Jeremy Botter's first-hand account in his pdf e-book Letters from Iraq in which he features "Operation Red Dawn: a soldier's perspective."

*

Omar at Iraq the Model wrote:

Horrraaaaa
It's the justice day.
I'm speechless.
I'm crying.
The tyrants' hour has finally came. I went down to the streets to share the joy with my brothers. This is our day, the day of all the oppressed and good people on earth.
Tears of joy filled the eyes of all the people.
Saddam, the coward, hides in a hole, shaking in fear from being captured.
Not a single bullet was fired, without any resistance, God, he was even cooperative! The mighty tyrant, who exploited all our country's fortune for his personal protection, surrenders like the cowered I expected him to be.

*

In stark contrast, Raed Jarrar cries: SADDAM, MEIN FUEHRER!!
Saddam was our national leader,
And yeah, I know I know…
he was a dictator,
he was stupid and self-destructive
but he was our national leader, that I didn’t enjoy any external forces to come and change.
I used to be an anti-Saddam during the time of the national Iraqi government, and I am still having huge critiques on how was he ruling the country,,,
But he was a national leader, and more a phenomena than a person.
A phenomenon that Iraq must go through to reach to a better future.

I used to have faith in the Iraqi government, and used to consider it as a base that can be enhanced in the next decades, maybe giving us one of the first national democratic governments in the Arab world. I still have this faith in the Iranian government, that has better potentialities of having internal revolutions and evolution, a government that can produce a real national democracy in the long run.

From my point of view, as a secular Muslim, I am fighting against fundamentalists and right-winged clerics, BUT I will defend them in the time they are attacked by intruders.

Raed defends Zarqawi's Head-Slicing brigade and the Baathists who kill Iraqi National Guard members. Iraqis, please remember where Raed's heart was when you count all the fathers and husbands who died at the hands of the insurgency.

*

Uday's bodyguard is interviewed by the Times Online about the movements of Saddam, Uday, and Qusay during and after the war.
“Once we were in Mansour, their convoy was going by and we just drove right past them in ordinary cars. They never saw us,” he said.

For an increasingly anxious Uday, it was a moment of comic relief. “He made fun of them. When he saw a soldier with a red face, he said, ‘That’s not a soldier for war’.” Uday offered an obscene suggestion of what the soldier’s face might be better used for.

Uday, remember, he who laughs LAST, laughs BEST. Uday's flesh and bone-eating wood-chipper is silent today. May it ALWAYS be so.

*

UPDATE: Dilnareen, over at Kurdistan Bloggers Union, reflects back on this day one year ago:
But then the pictures of Mr lice himself were shown on the screen, at this point i was scared we were going to be reported as a nuthouse... the outburst of screaming and jumping that came with it was intense, and it would stop for a while to hear what the ppl were saying then start all over again.

Dilnareen also offers what I think is the most sober, even-handed, and at the same time biting assessment of all the good and bad that has occurred since December 13, 2003.
The joy we had out of saddams capture was constantly being sucked out by shameless neo-baathists in the east and west about "afterall he was a president/muslim/arab he shouldn’t have been treated this way" forcing us to encounter all new forms of low among humanity

The fact that saddam was found cowering in a hole like a coward somehow transformed into more arabic hero moments. a leader who defied the americans till the end (um i must ask... how?)

The americans didn't soothe things either, the hole saddam was found in was cemented up a few months later... fueling more conspiracy theories and missing the iraqi ppl out on a goldmine of a tourist opportunity.. I myself would have paid loads to see the place.

Read the whole entry.

*



<< Home
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?