Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Distant Rumblings in the Iraqi Blogosphere

Over the last few weeks a few tectonic plates have started to shift in the Iraqi Blogosphere. Of late Zeyad at Healing Iraq had been at best an infrequent blogger. Then, one day, he returned.
Wednesday, December 08, 2004
I am quite fine. Thank you all for the concern.

I am finally done now with Basrah and will start working in Baghdad again. Trying to get a convenient post here in Baghdad close to where I live is what has been keeping me away. Well, that and a few other difficulties that seem to have become part of our daily life. Note that we are getting less than 6 hours of electricity per day.

I will try to start posting again very soon.

That was December 8th! Today is the 21st. What does Zeyad mean by "very soon"? Zeyad had always provided us with an intelligent and coldly-reasoned analysis of the situation in Iraq. We sure hope he returns full-time.

*

Sam over at Hammorabi has been a constant in the Iraqi Blogosphere for a year now. Over the last month he has become more and more irascible (and with good reason!). And then, a couple days ago, he shut down his comments page.
We removed the Haloscan comment site because it was misused by some for long time and Haloscan only provides limited number of bans. We apologize for that but will try to find a way of controlled and registered type of comments. If you know a site please let us know.

The last week or so some sickos had been linking to some sick shit and Sam had to ban like a fiend. Visit Sam every day. And let him know if you have any advice about running comments pages.

*

While Omar and Mohammed have been touring the US, Ali has been running Iraq the Model. Then something happened. No one knows what for sure. Out of the blue, Ali announced that he was going to stop blogging.
This is the last time I write in this blog and I just want to say, goodbye. It's not an easy thing to do for me, but I know I should do it. I haven't told my brothers with my decision, as they are not here yet, but it won't change anything and I just can't keep doing this anymore.

We're still waiting for an explanation.

UPDATE: Omar and Mohammed have returned to Iraq and Omar reports in. Ali's decision is still a mystery. As one commenter said, let's give Ali some SPACE. He'll respond when he's ready. No matter what, Iraqi Bloggers Central is behind him 100%.

*

After adding up the few years he has lived in peace in Iraq, Firas Georges at Iraq & Iraqis asks a question that many Iraqis must face at some point: Do I stay or do I go?
My friends…… I am not intending to live that way, actually I can’t let this happen again for me and my family as my father did so for his family including me, what am I going to do?, that’s what I am thinking of for long hours of my day, and all I am coming to is to start again a new life somewhere else, somewhere peaceful, but at that time if all Iraqis thought that way what’s going to happen to Iraq?.


*

Okay, that's the bad news.

The good news is that we are happy to welcome new Iraqi Bloggers like Husayn and Ibn Al Rafidain. Husayn writes:
I am still working out how to work the blogger, but I feel like Im learning more and having success. I am enjoying this new experience, its partially addictive, but I cant spend too much time on the computer, the electricity supply is a bit erratic, although it has been pretty good for the last few days.

I want to thank everyone for the support and pointers, they have been taken to heart. I also want to thank some of my cousins who are not Iraq who will assist me on certain parts of this project.

I want to first make a note that it is amazing to me that people who are not in Iraq sometimes get news before we do!! I think this is the amazing changes brought about by progress. I am thinking in particular about the horrible killing of election workers not far from where I am...I did not hear bout it until this morning, but some people e-mailed me about it when I was asleep. Is it not funny that I can travel to where this happened (which by the way was a major street which I think is filled with Baathists) easily, but many of you cannot but know what is happening.


*

The Iraqi Blogosphere will survive.

*



<< Home
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?