Thursday, June 03, 2004

Italo-Americano Friendship for Iraq

Back in November, 2003, on one of the first days at Iraq the Model's existence, a poster named Luca from Italy wrote:

As an Italian I can say to Ron that maybe democracy don't come from outside. But freedom can!

And both can enjoy a little help, which USA gave worldwide in the last 60 years.

I think WWII it's a pretty good example, and the Cold War too.

Without help from the US, Europe would be still under nazism or communism. Many Europeans like to forget that. I don't.

If I'm born in a free country i owe it to all those American soldiers who died in WWII, and those who defended the free world during the Cold War.

For that I'll be grateful forever.
Luca - Italy | Email | Homepage | 11.21.03 - 12:19 pm | #

An American living in New York replied:

Thanks Luca. I'm an American and my father and all my uncles fought in WWII, both in Europe and in the Pacific theater. Many people forget how many Americans died to bring about victory on both fronts. Before WWII, the States had been isolationist and our military was ranked somewhere in the mid twenties, not even in the top ten. Suddenly, we had to become martial.

Because his sons were in the war, my grandfather had to run his business by himself and went into debt. My father pulled extra kitchen duty to send money home to Grandpa to hold off foreclosure. During the fifties and the Marshall Plan, my grandfather was still in debt. In fact, he was in his eighties before his house was paid off. There was sacrifice all around. So I just wanted to say thanks for acknowledging your appreciation. You can imagine what I think about the French.

Sorry to post this on Omar's time, but I had to take advantage of this moment. Also, Omar, I hope this shows that Americans are willing to sacrifice for others' well-being.

Jeffrey
New York
Jeffrey | Email | Homepage | 11.21.03 - 1:38 pm | #


This was my first post on the Comments Pages at Iraq the Model.


UPDATE: AYS over at Iraq at a Glance reports from Basra on the role of facial hair in the current political situation.

When Ayad Allawy has been elected by the GC members to be a prime minister, the assistant in our center told me his 'great' opinion regarding that, he said "I don't think he's a good man, I don't agree with that.."
I said why? What's wrong with him? He said "he doesn't wear a beard or a moustache"!!!!!!!1
He was speaking seriously, he looked like a kid! I didn't know what to say. I smiled at him and changed the subject.

By the way, congratulations to all Iraqis on the formation of the interim government. I hope the new guys will serve this country in the best way they can.


ANOTHER UPDATE: Raed Jarrar, under pressure from Niki's batting eyelashes, fires back over at Raed and the Irani.

grrrrrrrr…
Niki!
You are destroying my public image!!
:*)

I don’t have a shy smile!!!!
I am … hmmmm… a tough lion
(right?)


Meanwhile, I wonder if Raed is a member of the Institute for the Secularisation of Islamic Society. Here's their mission statement:

We believe that Islamic society has been held back by an unwillingness to subject its beliefs, laws and practices to critical examination, by a lack of respect for the rights of the individual, and by an unwillingness to tolerate alternative viewpoints or to engage in constructive dialogue.

The Institute for the Secularisation of Islamic Society (ISIS) has been formed to promote the ideas of rationalism, secularism, democracy and human rights within Islamic society.

ISIS promotes freedom of expression, freedom of thought and belief, freedom of intellectual and scientific inquiry, freedom of conscience and religion – including the freedom to change one’s religion or belief - and freedom from religion: the freedom not to believe in any deity.


STILL ANOTHER UPDATE: Khalid Jarrar takes a break from studying and reports from Exam Week Hell in Baghdad. Khalid considers a ruse to out-fox the Commando-Professor:

Hey...
:))
what's up?
i did well in the environment protection exam, my next exam is a tough one, the Fluid Mechanics.
ahh..litsen, if i could hide my laptop in my pocket during the exam, and i managed to blog all the questions without anyone noticing, will you help me?



<< Home
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?